Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sue's Uncle Dennis was kind enough to offer to lend us his '05 Volvo C60 to drive down to Studland opposite Poole in Dorset. Poole harbour is the site for the 2012 Olympic sailing races. I had some misgivings about driving on roads when I had no idea of where I was going and having observed the speed at which English drivers hare around their narrow winding lanes, I was hoping that Susan might decide to take the train which we had alrady booked and paid for. The car trip won and we could not get a refund on our ticket. Fortunately our next host Clive invited Lizzie, Susan's daughter to visit with us and we were able to exchange our ticket down for her ticket back. Clive was totally spontaneous with his invitation as soon as he heard that she was also at Uncle's house. The AA internet site here provides detailed route instructions from A to B and we printed off a copy as well as having Clive's very detailed instructions on how to traverse the last couple of miles after getting off the car ferry.
I just steered and did everything that Susan instructed. She is an excellent navigator and with Liz's sharp eyes from the back seat, we did not get lost once, although we thought we were lost three times.
Cor! These English drivers don't half drive fast....there was I on the motorway doing nearly 100mph and chaps are flying past me. Sue claims I got up to 110 but I am sure that it was parralax error as she was looking sideways at the speedo.
We arrived safely and only 15 minutes "late" after spending an amazing hour at Winchester Cathedral en route. It is a breathtaking gothic masterpiece and I was totally awestruck when we entered. Words cannot describe the magnificence of the architecture nor is it easy to comprehend how it was built in the 11th century to replace an earlier church on the same site. The sense of history was quite overwhelming.
As was Clive's welcome when we arrived at his home in a little private estate on the side of a down overlooking fields, a golf course and the magnificent panorama of Poole inner and outer harbours. He and wife Jean were out in the lane waiting for us, he dresed in shorts and a blue (his old St Alban's house colour) shirt and our old school cap. He is 6'7" plus and 20 stone so you can imagine the sight. He had a large welcome banner, a sign welcoming the 52 year school reunion, twirly multi-coloured hanging helix banner and a helium ballon. A funny and very warm welcome.
His retirement house is perfectly sited facing the West so we had sunsets to look forward to every day and the always beautiful view from the deck and living room and most importantly from our bedroom which offered even more panoramic views. Clive and I had not met for 52 years although we have been regular email correpondents for the last six years and I had been trying to get him to come and visit me in Perth. The warmth of his and Jean's welcome was touching and the piece de resistance of the evening was the meal he served us. Clive has been in the catering and restaurant business for most of his life apart from when he was a full-time property developer and he is a very, very good cook. His lobster bisque was out-of-this-world good. Five huge lobsters, langoustine, prawns and the most delicious local mussels. Quite the best meal we have had since we left Singapore.....not fair to compare it with La Ferrandaise in Paris but more enjoyable because of the company. Roel, Allan, Sue and Cynnie, not to mention John and Julie would have cried with pleasure to eat it...it was that good! Andf of course he provided a magnum of Lanson to wash it down with. A good time was had by all.
Sunday 13th was of course my 70th birthday and I was touched to awaken to a bunch of cards and presents. Clive had given me an antique fruit penknife complete with silver sixpence between the blade and the "sheath" so as never to cut the bonds of friendship. I was truly touched. Susan had already given me my present, a magnificent Tissot chronograph that I am wearing now and she also came up with my favourite marzipan chocs for the day.
The 12th was spent touring around, driven by Clive, the many, many beauty spots in the area, always with woods, green fields, harbours and sea to delight the eye and the spirit. We had a lovely lunch and in the evening Clive produced his second masterpiece......local racks of lamb. I reckon that John or Allan on their own would have finished both racks by themselves. I have never had such good lamb, perfectly cooked in a mint sauce paste, the lightest pink with wonderful tenderness and flavour.....once again unfair to compare with the French lamb I ate at La Ferrandaise but every bit its equal in flavour and texture. Birthday news to come.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rich and Sue

    It is reALLY LOVELY to read that your are having such a wonderfull experience
    I'm so glad that you are having such a great holiday and you both deserve it
    Boy the food sounds sensational and I'm putting on weight just reading about it
    Well at the end of the month we are going to Sharks Bay where we will be staying with Caroline in a house right on the beach
    We hope to feast ourself on fresh seafood caught by Andrew
    On the 16 October I'm having a righthand shoulder replacement so I will became a bionic man

    Keep having a good time

    Roeland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am gaining kilos reading about all this food - stop it now! Glad to hear you saw Winchester. I had a personalised tour there after hitching a ride with a total stranger (what was I thinking?) and having the best time actually seeing something with someone (travelling alone sometimes has knobs on it!)
    Reads on.....

    ReplyDelete